Skip to content

A Homecoming Victory: FHE Defeats Thornapple-Kellogg

Team Name Score
Forest Hills Eastern 45
Thornapple Kellogg 23

After a tough loss against Grand Rapids Catholic Central, the Hawks were eager to impress at FHE’s annual homecoming game against Thornapple Kellogg last Friday. While most spectators were distracted by the various homecoming activities occurring, FHE defeated TK 45-23.


Image 1 of 7

Clune Van Andel ('23) prepares to kick an extra point after FHE scored a touchdown.

The Hawks started off strong with Drew Patten (‘24) scoring the first touchdown of the game with 8:13 left in the first quarter. Followed by a completed kick from Clune Van Andel (‘23), the score sat at 7-0. The Hawks also managed to achieve a 2-point conversion against TK but began to struggle defensively as the Trojans were inching towards the endzone at the end of the first quarter. 

As the second quarter progressed, FHE managed to hold off TK from scoring a touchdown, only for them to score a field goal 2 ½ minutes into the quarter. After some back-and-forth with possession, TK attempted yet another field goal with 2:38 left remaining in the half, only for it to be blocked by Collin Fridsma (‘23). A short 8 seconds later, Max Ferrick (‘25) scored the second touchdown of the night followed by another two-point conversion, making the score 17-3. After some rather aggressive plays, TK managed to sneak by FHE’s defense and score a last-minute touchdown with 53 seconds left in the half, making the halftime score 17-9.

The second half started off slow for both teams, but an early touchdown marked the beginning of a scoring frenzy for FHE in the third quarter. FHE’s touchdown, followed by yet another completed kick from Van Andel bumped the score up to 24-9. With 4:04 left in the third quarter, Bryson Kuzdzal (‘23) made it to the endzone, only to fumble the ball, making it an unsuccessful touchdown for FHE. Kuzdzal was quick to make up for the fumble, however, by successfully scoring a touchdown less than 30 seconds later, with 3:38 left in the quarter. Kuzdzal’s touchdown plus a completed kick by Van Andel made the score 31-9 with FHE showing no signs of slowing down. To end the quarter, Mac DenBraber (‘23) scored FHE’s 5th touchdown of the night with 1:13 remaining, and with the completed kick by Van Andel, the score was 38-9 heading into the final quarter.

The 4th quarter served as a defensive challenge for the Hawks, as TK managed to score 2 touchdowns and one 2-point conversion, making the score 38-23. The Hawks managed to finish the game on a high note, with Will Morgan (‘24) scoring the final touchdown of the night with 1:28 remaining. Morgan’s touchdown followed by a completed kick from Van Andel made the final score 45-23.

“We had a bit of a slow start,” head coach Joe Schwander explained, “but they put the pedal to the metal [in the second half].” When asked about what changes were made after their loss against Catholic Central, Schwander responded “we made changes based on our opponent (Thornapple Kellogg)…we worked on anything we saw on film and cleaned everything up throughout the week.” 

FHE is currently ranked third in the OK Gold conference with a record of 4-1. Their next game is this Friday, October 7th against Cedar Springs High School at the FHE stadium. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.