Skip to content

Fighting to the End

The evening began with cool temperatures and clear skies. Eastern’s JV football team faced off against Thornapple Kellog. “We were very optimistic going in,” said Head Coach Cameron Wysocki. Eastern’s team fought to the very end to keep Thornapple at bay. The game ended with a score of 26-26. The team’s spirit, regardless of the tie, was never in short supply. Members of Eastern’s varsity team cheered them on from the sidelines. 

The game began with an early score by FHE’s Will Morgan (‘24), who ran the ball into the endzone with 5 minutes and 10 seconds left in the first quarter, putting Eastern up 6-0. It was, however, quickly followed by a completed touchdown pass from TK making the score 6-6. Towards the end of the first quarter Mark Fuerher (‘24), the quarterback, handed the ball off to Will Morgan with just under a minute left to score a touchdown, leaving the hawks in the lead 12-6 at the end of the first quarter. 

Coach Wysocki discusses the upcoming play with quarterback Mark Fuerher (’24).

At the beginning of the second quarter, TK completed another pass and put them on the hawks 40-yard line. They went on to score with 7:28 left in the second quarter. Bringing the score to 12-12. The Hawks’ Will Morgan made another great drive- all the way to the 50-yard line. With 4 minutes and 22 seconds left in the second quarter, Eli Prominski (‘24) made a great tackle and forced TK to a fourth down. The Hawks continued to fight for points as the half came to an end. Preston Hoexum (‘24) scored at the end of the second quarter, and the extra point was good, making it 19-12 for the Hawks. 

At 6 minutes left in the third quarter, TK pushed towards the end zone and scored. This left the Hawks holding onto a one-point lead. Number 8 for the Hawks, Landon Pflum (‘24), made a stunning return, taking the ball to the 40-yard line with 5:30 left in the third quarter. Mark Fuerher then made a pass to Eli Prominski and brought it to the 5-yard line where the Hawks’ Preston Hoexum scored again. A completed extra point brought the Hawks to a 26-18 lead.

Preston Hoexum (’24) jukes out a player from the opposing team.

TK took the ball towards the 35-yard line and closed in on scoring position to start the fourth quarter. After a long battle, TK eventually scored and secured a two-point conversion, leaving the game tied 26-26 with 4 minutes and 37 seconds left in the game. In the last minutes, TK plowed towards the Hawk goal line. They closed in on the Hawk 15 yard line with a minute and 30 seconds to go. The Hawks made an incredible stop that left the game tied at 26-26. When asked how he thought his team performed, the Head Coach, Cameron Wysocki, stated “the defense made a great stop at the end of the game to prevent TK from scoring.” The hawks battled their hearts out and although they did not pull off the win, they still secured their legacy as fighters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *