Over the past weekend, CBS televised Oprah Winfrey’s interview with former royals Harry and Meghan Markle. This two-hour tell-all uncovered everything from Meghan’s untold mental health battle to jaw-dropping concerns over baby Archie’s skin color. While numerous bits and pieces of information was shared during the interview, here are the five most notable takeaways from the groundbreaking conversation:
- Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle’s relationship is not what it seems: While these two aren’t exactly friends, the British tabloids have spent the last few years playing a key role in turning the pair against each other. During the interview, Markle said that the tabloids “really seemed to want a narrative of a hero and a villain.” Meghan even referred to Kate as a “good person,” elaborating that “If you love me, you don’t have to hate her. And if you love her, you don’t have to hate me.”
- Meghan has been horribly misrepresented by the media: Ever since Harry and Meghan revealed their relationship to the public in October of 2017, Meghan has been constantly portrayed in a negative light by the tabloids. The press covered her in a drastically different manner compared to Kate Middleton due to her race, social media presence, nationality, and divorcée status. Meghan compared stories relating to her with “the Wild, Wild West. [They] spread like wildfire. Plus, my being American [was] translated in a different [and negative] way.” She also mentioned that the Royal Family’s communications and media team was always quick to defend other members of the Royal Family when a controversial article was published, while failing to defend Harry or herself when such situations arose.
- Racism is still present within the palace walls: While Meghan was pregnant with her now year-old son Archie, a senior member of the Royal Family reportedly had a conversation with Harry addressing their concern for Archie’s skin tone, due to Meghan Markle being biracial. Harry and Meghan have both verified that neither Queen Elizabeth nor Prince Philip were the ones behind these remarks, which has sense prompted many viewers to speculate that it was Prince Charles, Harry’s father, who was concerned about the tone of his grandson’s skin.
- The Royal Family refused to address Meghan’s concerning mental state while a part of the Royal Family: During the interview, Meghan Markle talked about her mental health with great detail, saying that the media harassment as well as poor treatment from the Royal Family caused her to develop suicidal thoughts. During her mental health crisis, Markle remembered feeling as though she “just didn’t see a solution,” and that she “just didn’t want to be alive anymore.” She recalled this headspace as being “very clear” and “frightening[ly] constant,” and was denied receiving medical aid regarding her mental state, because it wouldn’t “[look] good for the Institution.” After telling Harry about her suicidal thoughts, she said that she “[couldn’t] be left alone” at the Royal Albert Hall in 2019, and that she and Harry were “both just trying to [hang] on [at the time].”
- Prince Charles is starting to look more like the “villain” for Harry and Meghan: Throughout the interview, Meghan Markle constantly refers to the Royal Family as “The Institution,” and highlights how both Harry and herself were mistreated by the Institution prior to and during their exit from the Royal Family. Harry said that his father, Prince Charles, stopped taking his calls shortly after discovering that Harry and Meghan planned on leaving the Royal Family. Rumors have also surfaced that Prince Charles was the senior Royal Family member that expressed concerns about Archie’s skin tone being too dark. Despite this, both Harry and Meghan said that they had a very positive relationship with Queen Elizabeth despite the poor experience with the Institution. “The Queen[…] has always been wonderful to me” Meghan told Oprah during the interview. Harry also used the interview as an opportunity to clarify that the Queen knew of Harry and Meghan’s decision to step back from Royal duties before they formally left. “[I never would have] blindsided my grandmother. I have too much respect for her.” Harry said to Oprah. While Prince Philip’s relationship with Harry and Meghan was not thoroughly discussed during the interview, it was confirmed that he was not the one behind expressing concerns about Archie’s skin tone.
Featured image courtesy of Flickr.