Skip to content

Turnovers Plague Hawks as They Fall to Trojans 40 – 33 in an Unusual Start to the Season

An away game opened the Hawks’ season against Fruitport’s Trojans. The first quarter was ripe with action on both sides of the ball 一 the Hawks took a 14 – 0 lead after only four minutes of game time. Then, the offense slowed and the defense wavered, allowing the Trojans to score a touchdown that brought the score to 14 – 7. Almost directly after that, thunder erupted nearby and brought the game to a standstill for the first time that night.

After a mandatory thirty-minute delay, play continued in the first quarter. While the delay pushed the Hawks out of their groove, it allowed the Trojans to settle in. The Trojans then jumped out to an 18 – 14 lead over the Hawks due to the Hawks’ offense turning over the ball twice in a span of a few minutes. Then came the second lightning delay.

After another thirty-minute delay — in which the Hawks’ student section refused to leave the stands — the Trojans lost their tempo. However, the Hawks were not there to take their place. The Trojans started off with the ball. On their second play after the delay, they threw an interception that the Hawks returned for a touchdown, bringing the score to 20 – 18. The Hawks failed on a two-point conversion, and then the quarter ended. The second quarter started, nine seconds rolled by, and the game was delayed for a third time. After yet another thirty-minute delay, the lightning continued and the game was postponed until the following day.

Forest Hills Eastern students eagerly returning after the second rain delay.


On August 30th, the Hawks and Trojans met up yet again to complete their game from the previous night. On Friday, the Hawk’s performance took a turn for the worse. The student section thinned, the turnovers became more prominent, and the referees became more lenient. The second quarter kicked off with a dominant Trojans team on both offense and defense, causing multiple fumbles and interceptions  — some of which were returned for touchdowns.

The Trojans jumped out to a prominent 32 – 20 lead entering the half. The Hawks seemed defeated walking into their halftime speech from head coach Joe Schwander. Back from the half, the Hawks took the ball and scored rather easily at the beginning of the third quarter, making the score 32 – 27.

On the Trojans’ first possession of the half, they scored and converted a two-point conversion to make the score 40 – 27. The Hawks, on their next possession, score a touchdown and failed to convert on a two-point attempt to bring the score to 40 – 33, where it would remain until the clock ran out to end the game. The Hawks face off against a dominant Holland Christian team for their first home game of the season on Friday, September 6th.